[Public-List] About the location of the rear lifting sling

Randy Katz via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed Sep 16 19:05:58 PDT 2015

Sorry if I missed it, but in all this discussion did anyone finally express
a concern regarding whether or not a sling behind the rudder, kind of under
the aft lazarette, is likely to damage anything?

My boatyard in Bellingham started lifting this way a few years ago because
it was a bit too much horsing around to locate the aft sling properly, just
forward of the rudder foot (so the rudder swings freely upon straps being
lifted). The further-aft method is faster and easier. (Though the two
slings are always tied to ea. other.)

The new lifting method has worked, but I wonder every time if it's really
OK. I don't necessary trust the guys, diligent and well meaning as they
are, to know.

Thoughts?

Randy Katz
Simple Gifts #249