[Public-List] Westerbeke20B/JS Transmission

John Johnston via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Sep 17 12:54:03 PDT 2015

Ahoy! Trying to do the right thing I checked the transmission fluid and found it didn't even register on the dipstick. I thought I would pump out what was in there, and put in fresh. What I pumped out, which was very little, looked more like transmission fluid than the 30W engine oil specced out by the manual. At any rate, I pumped out what I could and topped off with the specced oil. Shifts a bit more smoothly now - BUT - In neutral I can bring the revs all the way up, but when in gear I can now get no more than 1800 RPM, barely enough to make headway. This problem did not exist before - it ran great. That same day I replaced the fuel filter in the seperator unit, and cleaned out the bowl. SO… what's up?