[Public-List] another maintenance item

vmarmei via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sat Sep 12 09:30:41 PDT 2015

Look fellow Alberg Sailors.

The trick to remove any stuck bolt or fastener is to break the
oxidation between the two different materials.
You can soak the bolt with Penetrating oil,Kerosene or WD-40 for a
reasonable  time. Then try to move the bolt with proper socket wrench
back and forth very little and again soak for a few hours...then do
the same thing once again. In a few hours...before the sun goes
down... that bolt will let go its corroded grip.
Where condition permit you can use torch heat and Penetrating oils
(When part is cool).
You can use bolt Extractors (w/left hand threads or Square pegs)
still with Penetrating oil. Drill a hole into the fastener for the
Extractor or to pour oil inside the bolt.
Never try to remove a bolt or fastener by brute force.
Never Bugger up the bolt or screw hex-head or the screwdriver slot.
Never buy Phillips or Slotted screws...always try to buy Robertson or
Socket Head Cap screws or socket Flat head screws.
Always keep you Screw drivers clean and Square....Do not use Screw
drivers as Chisels.
Me a Tool and Die maker.
William
A-30 641