[Public-List] Cockpit drain fittings--bigger could be better

Glenn Brooks via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sun Sep 13 11:07:31 PDT 2015

Randy, first, there is very little chance you are going to get pooped.   the design has proven itself to be much more than an inland waters racer/weekender. True, one could rebuild the deck and eliminate the cockpit etc. however, the four Alberg  singlehanders who have circumnavigated haven't reported any difficulty clearing water from the cockpit, including two boats that were rolled- with the existing 1" drains.  If you look at other ocean voyaging boats of this class,  the usual drain fittings are only either 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" inches. So you would only gain max 30% more flow rate if you replaced the existing drains. Above that you would have to go to 2" drains- which is what my 63' ketch had.

I didn't follow your initial post very clearly, but seem to remember something about  deck drains feeding down to a Wye?  Dolce only had this arrangement only for the cockpit lid drains - which I ripped out and glassed closed when the rubber tubing eventually rotted away.  The actual floor drains lead separately to individual thru hulls - one port, one starboard of the engine.

As a side note, I've had thee very experienced, senior, marine surveyors here in the PNW look specifically at the drains and cockpit/lazarettes over the years, and all three have said the existing drains are adequate for offshore work.  What people don't realize is that if you get pooped,  the water gets sloshed out over the sides on the next wave, not drained out the bottom.  The only comment two of the surveyors made was that the cockpit lids were inadequate. Skinny little sheet of plywood covered with teak strips is marginal.  I eventually replaced the lids with solid teak hatchs, reinforced with cross bars of teak on the bottom, and secured with two latches each hatch. The third, most recent surveyor thought that was overkill, but liked the setup.

Cheers,
Glenn

Sent from my iPad