[Public-List] Prop while sailing, locked or free to spin ?

Kris Coward via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Apr 22 12:56:17 PDT 2016

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 10:23:55AM -0400, Jonathan Bresler via Public-List wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Have heard from list members to lock the prop while while.  Several of our
> racing members do so by putting the A-4 into gear after rotating the shaft
> to "hide" the two blade prop behind the deadwood.   Some folks use a
> vise-grip on the shaft with the handle against the hull to stop the shaft
> and prop from spinning.
>
> While sailing last night, I came up with a slightl different way to lock
> the prop.  Wrapped the rubber strap from a rubber strap oil filter wrench
> around the shaft till the handle was held against the hull.   Worked
> great.  Getting it off, required a good steady pull on the handle to spin
> the shaft backwards a few rotations.  Had picked up a pair of these strap
> wrench at Advance Auto in their discount bin for $5.00, I seem to
> remember.  Useful for removing the oil filter, as well.
>
> So what do you do ?
> Lock the shaft or not?
> If you lock the shaft, how ?

I painted fluorescent yellow lines that appear on the top and bottom of
the prop shaft when the prop is aligned with the slot in the
keel/rudder (so it's relatively easy to do a visual check into the
engine compartment that the prop is aligned).

I heard tell once that with an A4, putting the transmission into
reverse, and then gradually shifting it into forward while the boat is
moving forward will get the prop aligned and locked in the right
alignment.

When I've tried this in the past, the yellow paint lines have generally
been in the right spot if/when I've checked, so I'm incluned to say that
it works.

Cheers,
Kris
Candy Cane #583