[Public-List] Mast beam - Welded channel section

Daniel Sternglass via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Feb 9 09:30:52 PST 2016

Hello,

On the subject of the mast beam... A few years after we bought our
(non-liner)  boat in 1986, we had to make a doubler for the mast beam.
My boat partner, at the time, and I had the good fortune of working at
Borg Warner automotive, advanced development labs. One of the machinist
was kind enough made us a stainless doubler, like the two aluminum
sister-plates, but with a curved piece of stainless welded across the
bottom. The channel section gives it great rigidity. Admittedly, the
labor for this would have been very expensive if not for the g-job from
a machinist friend of ours.

It is certainly more fabrication work than the plates, but I believe it
is far stronger. We jacked the beam up before drilling the through
bolts, and more than 25 years later the top of the brace has not shifted
relative to the cabin-top.

One question -- Back in the day, plain old elastomeric caulk was
recommended for the shroud chain plates, and we've been doing that for
30 years with no evident problems. I tighten the (5/16") chainplate
bolts as-needed every year, and they are solid. I take that to indicate
that there is no evidence of rot in the support structure. Does that
seem reasonable?

Thanks,

--Dan Sternglass
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966