[Public-List] Weather helm

George Dinwiddie via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Feb 23 08:19:58 PST 2016

I keep hearing people talking about reengineering the rigging of the
boat to reduce weather helm, and it makes me think about when we first
bought Calypso and it had significant weather helm. I used to sail with
a large "bubble" in the luff of the main to keep her under control.

Then we got a new main, and the problem went away. The old main had a
delightfully smooth shape, but was stretched out of shape for all but
light air days. When the wind was normal, the lift over the belly of the
sail was more than the jib could counteract.

Something to consider.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org