[Public-List] Mast Support Beam

Jason S via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon Feb 8 10:10:42 PST 2016

Wes,

I own a liner Alberg but understand what you are discussing. I found that
the main issue for the compression aft of beam in the overhead is because
the mast is not centered on the beam. I have posted a video on my blog
about masts placement in relation the beam. I also think you have some core
deterioration in there as well. When I cut mine open it was rotten.  Like
yours it felt solid and sounded solid but it wasn't.

There are a few schools of thought...one being leave it alone and keep
sailing. I had other issues so I decided to fixed mine. For what's worth,
Jean du Sud had the same compression and Yves was headed offshore when I
met him and toured his Alberg back in November. He didn't seem concerned.

I decided to fix mine because my beam looked pretty bad, sorry can't post a
pic here, but if you look at my blog, www.svsalacia.blogspot.com, you'll
see my "liner" beam seemed pretty bad off. Turns out it was mostly
cosmetics from what i can tell but I am glad I decided to fix it properly.

I guess it's best to decide if you can rest easy knowing the condition..I
couldn't so I went ahead and bit the bullet so to speak.

Hope this helps

Jason
On Feb 8, 2016 12:53 PM, "Wes Gardner via Public-List" <