[Public-List] Mast Rake

via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sun Feb 14 10:35:21 PST 2016

John
Your observation fits with what Jason discovered when he found the
same problem I have. He drew the same conclusion as you did about the
pressure that is put on the part of the mast stay not supported by the
aluminium beam.
It occurs to me that, with the mast step area exposed, one way to
solve the problem would be to move the mast step forward so that the
mast is over the middle of the beam. Of course that would lead to
rebuilding the hatch area and probably getting a new modern hatch as
well as getting a longer back stay. Assuming that one made sure the
wood on top of the beam was ok or fixed and the leaks under the mast
step were fixed, one might have a very permanent fix.
so in the spirit of science where one seeks to challenge one's
hypothesis as part of making one's claim about the how the natural
world works, what's wrong with this solution - aside from its
potential monstrous cost? I am assuming that this will be costly
enough anyway.
Your thoughts and those of the rest of the community as well?
David, 432

Public-List"