[Public-List] What wood....

Anders Bro via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon Feb 15 05:56:34 PST 2016

Hi Gord,
I have heard it rumored (backed by Googling it) that black locust, although incredibly rot resistant, is super tough, hard to cut, and dulls tools fast. There is one report of the difficulty of driving nails further than 1/2" into the wood. So although it would make a great wood for boats, it might be a bit tough to work?

Also (and I am not sure of this) the heart wood might be dark(?) whereas the sap wood is as you say, quite light colored.

In the Sierra this stuff grew like weeds, and aside from fence posts no one would use it for anything but burning. It was hard on the chain saw. (and was it hard to split? I forget)

So I might suggest you get a scrap and see how it works before you spend too many boat bucks on this wood.

Anders

Sent from my iPhone