[Public-List] What wood....

Don Campbell via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Feb 16 07:40:34 PST 2016

Gord:
     Before I had used epoxies, I had a discussion with a craftsman from
Niagara-on-the-Lake who went by the name of "Scotty". He still had the
accent to match! His advice to me was that for any major epoxy job, build a
full scaffold that completely encircles the boat and have it so you can walk
around the whole thing without getting down.  I did this for the deck job
that I have done on 528, and it made all the difference between a job done
and a good job. Having the ability to get your eyes to the surface and
change positions to see the variability of the surface makes all the
difference in the finished product.  Consider a scaffold seriously.
    One thing I have found working with epoxy is that being very careful
with how much one puts on at one time is critical. Having some dexterity
with scrapers and brushes makes for easy choices when it comes to uniform
application of materials (without disturbing the glass cloth). The more
careful one is, the less one has to remove once it goes hard. The difference
in hardeners makes for some difference in pot life and working time.
Thickeners may make the material not as strong and much more difficult to
sand away excess.  Sometimes I wised for better self levelers within the mix
and bubbles are anathema. Stirring the mix is a real art to get a mixing
without incorporating air that makes bubbles which do not come out very
easily. Personally I have found West system to be good , but MAS gives you
much more to choose from for hardeners and cure time.
    Another real help is to have 4 hands for big jobs. One person mixes and
the other applies it. It makes for more uniform materials quickly at hand,
and much more uniform lay-up because of the faster availability, and with
fewer ridges from joining to batches that have partially cured. The end
result is less extra material to remove as well.  Four hands also help when
you want to add a second layer just at the time when the first has set but
not blushed or gone waxy, again because it means that the person applying
materials can make the decision to add without having to take time away to
mix materials.
Don