[Public-List] propeller

Don Campbell via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Feb 23 20:09:13 PST 2016

Chip:
    Slippage occurs when the prop turns and the forward motion of the boat
is less than matching what the design of the prop ought to get, much like
slippage on tires when the load pulled is greater than the traction
available so the tire turns 1 revolution but the forward motion is less than
the circumference of the tire. With 50% slip that means that the prop turns
1 revolution and the boat goes 1/2 the designed distance of the pitch of
that prop. While some inefficiencies are unquestionable because the surface
of the water is not contained, so any extra force can be disbursed by
lifting water above the normal waterline, it is sad to think that 50% of the
designed screw is a good number for powering a boat. Too much spin on a prop
too close to the surface will allow for cavitation, or sucking air down into
the vortex of the prop and since gases can be compressed, even more
inefficiencies.
Don