[Public-List] propeller

Gordon Laco via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed Feb 24 05:29:08 PST 2016

Or another way to understand 'slip' is to consider the propeller as a screw (which it is).   If the prop is said to have a 7" pitch, that means that if it were in a solid substance like wood, it would advance 7" every full rotation.

Well it's not in wood, its in water, so every full rotation of the prop only moves it (and the boat it's attached to) forward about 3.5".... So the 'slip' is said to be about 50%.

Interesting stuff

Gord 426 Surprise.