[Public-List] Bimini ideas

George Dinwiddie via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sun Jul 10 13:55:11 PDT 2016

Hi, Greg,

On 7/10/16 3:31 PM, Greg Roberts via Public-List wrote:

> Hi Folks, I need a bimini. Something that works while underway would
> be ideal. There were a few posts awhile but i never saw any links to
> photos etc...Any ideas?

I installed a 3-bow aluminum-frame store-bought bimini (from Boat-US,
which tell you how old it is) on Calypso. The frames pivot on mounts on
the side decks, just outside the coamings.

When sailing, I bring the aft lines down to the ends of the traveler
rather than further aft. This allows the mainsheet to go around them,
and the chafe has never been enough for me to worry about. It also holds
the aft frame a bit less securely, and it moves out of the way when
tacking. Not a perfect solution, but it's worked well enough for years.

I don't think I've got any photos that show this setup, though.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org