[Public-List] Stern tube

Don Campbell via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sat Jun 11 19:58:25 PDT 2016

Hi Greg:
    You have yourself quite a job. The only way to seal that tube well is to
remove all of the dolfinite that was the seal and that means getting in to
the back of the shaft area and scraping all you can of it out, Then you
could take a wire brush on a drill to rough it up and get more out, and then
it is the solvents. Be careful of inhaling whatever you use. use extra
ventilation. Once it is clean as a whistle, you can reinstall the tube and
the bracket on the exterior that holds the bearing. I used most of a tube of
5200 to seal things because I did not want to have to go through the process
again and I put some on the join and then let it start to harden before
adding more. The toughest part is under the tube, but access and care will
suffice. That was about 10 years ago now and I still have a dry seal between
the tube and the water outside. IT IS A BIG CHORE TO DO IT WELL.  Any
dolfinite in the way means you will have a leak.  I also had the motor out
at the time so had better access., but for me to take out the motor and get
it back in is about a 3 1/2 hour job, which is not bad in the scheme of
things.
    My feeling is that you will have a constant leak here unless you get a
good seal and the only way to do that is to have things really clean.
Don