[Public-List] Stern tube

John Boor via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon Jun 13 08:59:40 PDT 2016

> Hey All,
>
> Just from knowledge of cutlass bearings on other boats, 2" seems awfully
> short.  Perhaps this is something a PO did incorrectly???  I have cut them
> down in the past, but not that much...other folks should know what is
> specific to our boats.
When I did Mahseer's #380 cutlass bearing I found that inside next to the
threaded stern tube there was a shoulder that limited the depth of the new
bearing. I had to cut slots down the length of the old bearing to allow me
to remove it.   When installing the new one I left about 1/2in exposed and
drilled a 1/4in hole through the exposed portion to assist in extracting
the bearing in the future.

John Boor
Ex MAHSEER #380