[Public-List] Solar

Amy & David Swanson via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sun Jun 19 16:10:57 PDT 2016

I doubt you are going to get 50 amp hours/day into a battery out of a
solar rig unless you have a lot of panel area, unblocked & properly
oriented.  A 60 watt panel will peak at about 5.2 amps.  Even a very low
battery will not take much more than half of those.  If the panel is
partially blocked, you will get nothing.  If the sun is at a low angle
or if it is overcast, you won't get much either.

That being said, modern controllers and lower prices make solar a lot
more viable than just a few years ago.  Spend some time researching
controllers.  My boat slip faces due south, I put a 40 watt panel on the
fore deck angled up about 25 degrees (less than optimal), and it
recharges my group 24 over the week consistently.  I only have plug into
shore power to do maintenance or such.