[Public-List] Re powering my A30

Wes Gardner via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon Jun 20 11:04:47 PDT 2016

My two cents..
I just went through the "rebuild wars" after a PO did me the disservice of
threading a standard oil pressure sender into my metric block.  When all
the oil pumped into the bilge when the sender finally blew out, the engine
virtually destroyed itself so there wasn't anything to rebuild.  I bought a
tractor motor with the same block and used the old "marinization" gear to
convert it to a marine diesel.  It is a 3 cylinder 22-25 HP depending on
who you talk to and runs like a clock.  The total repair was around 6K.
Will I ever recoup that? Nope.  But the next owner will have a boat with a
proper motor.
I never considered an outboard for the above stated reasons - both
performance and cutting a beautiful boat to pieces.  I did look into
electric - the cost for a Thoosa was about 12K uninstalled.  I have since
seen numerous Yanmars and a couple of Betas for sale.  I also agree that
the rebuild of the "Automatic 4" may just be your best bet!

Wes
Griffin's Faith #196

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 1:15 PM, Hans Thomas via Public-List <