[Public-List] Toe rail cap replacement (was What Wood...)

Chip Dance via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon Mar 7 11:51:17 PST 2016

As part of the refit of #456 I will need to replace all of the toe rail
cap. I'm not sure at this point if I will go with teak or something else.
The tongue and groove joints seem daunting to me considering the curve of
the rail. Even though I anticipate using a steam box, the sides of the
groove (it seems to me) would be particularly delicate. Anyone have any
suggestions for the best approach? The easiest solution would seem to be
butt joints, but the easiest solution is seldom the best solution and
certainly not the best looking solution.

Although I have not yet removed the existing cap (I like Kris's idea of
keeping the old cap to help form the new cap), from the inside, it appears
as though some of the screws (or bolts in some cases) go all the way
through the molded rail. How did Whitby mount the cap? Screws or bolts?
What would you all recommend when replacing the cap? That seems like a bad
location for multiple through-bolts considering the difficulty of
re-bedding. Thoughts?

Chip