[Public-List] What wood....

Kris Coward via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon Mar 7 09:42:47 PST 2016

In a similar vein, I had a collision last August that damaged the
forward section of my stbd toe rail. Looking at one of the joints
already there, I'm pretty sure it's not the first such collision Candy
Cane's seen. (I blame the new genoa for this collision; added 10% to
prefer class rules over PHRF and was still figuring out how much harder
it is to see traffic around more sail-- we were racing, of course.)

My plans are to prepare a piece of teak the same width as the existing
toe rail, and a bit longer than the distance from the bow to the current
repair joint (because that joint is a straight cut, and I'd rather make
a tongue like the other joints), steam it, and then clamp it above the
existing section of rail to get the best possible match to the current
alignment. Once it's dry (and before I take the clamps off), I'll mark
down the location for all the screw holes, where the rounding off of the
rail should be interrupted for the running light ledge, shape/position
of ends, etc.

Then I expect to take it back to my workshop, round off the edges, drill
the screw holes, etc.; then bring it back to the boat for a day of
taking off the old rail and putting on the new one, with the steam box
handy, in case the new rail has straightened back out somewhat since the
measuring step (the tongue should be on the new piece, in case it has to
be steamed again).

If anyone sees any pitfalls with this plan, or has improvements to
suggest, I'd be glad to hear about it.

Cheers,
Kris

Kris Coward					http://unripe.melon.org/