[Public-List] Prop Questions

Kris Coward via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Mar 15 21:15:54 PDT 2016

Hi Bob,

I did my cutlass bearing last winter/spring, and took the opportunity to
make sure the shaft was straight (it wasn't; I have a friend with a
reference flat granite slab, rolled the shaft along it, and saw a gap
form under the middle of about 1-2 thou each revolution). I sent the
prop with the shaft to the machine shop that was going to make me up a
new shop (to make sure I hadn't incorrectly identified the taper), and
they recommended that it be reconditioned. I agreed, since it was in
much rougher shape than the condition you're describing your prop being
in, and when I got it back, it took a *very* careful inspection to
establish that they hadn't simply sent me back a brand new prop for the
cost of a recondition.

The short story is that a good marine machine shop will basically work
miracles when asked to recondition a prop. (And if the non-marine
machinists who I know are any indication, a good machinist who doesn't
normally do marine work will direct you to a marine shop about as
quickly as a patent lawyer will send you elsewhere if you call up
asking for criminal defense.)

I had my prop done my United Prop and Machine up in Orillia, in case any
great lakes folks are interested, but I suspect they might be a bit far
afield for you.

-Kris

Kris Coward					http://unripe.melon.org/