[Public-List] Manual Bilge Pump Installation

Gordon Laco via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Mar 24 05:55:05 PDT 2016

Hello Jonathan,

Most A30 manual bilge pump installations I've seen have the Whale Gusher 10
mounted under the after part of the port cockpit seat, and angled somewhat
so as to enable efficient pumping by a person squatting in the cockpit well.
The ergonomics of this set up are very good.

I reckon you know the reason for this installation was the racing safety
regulation which dictated that the manual pump must be operable from the
cockpit without opening any hatches by the person at the helm.

In the link in your email below BP4402 installation diagram shows the common
installation orientation.

I equipped our Folkboat with a Gusher 25, the two chamber pump which throws
water on both strokes... It could really move water.  I had a longer handle
made for it because it was installed such that the handle came up through
the cockpit sole grating (Folkboats of my vintage have open cockpits)  The
ergonomics of that installation were very good too.  I did an experiment
once in which I withdrew the knotmeter transducer, allowing an inch and a
quarter stream of water into the bilges.  Working the Gusher 25, and with
the electric pump going at the same time, we could only barely hold the
level down.  That was a sobering revelation...

And that experiment is what gave me the idea to pretend the boat was holed
and flooding one night while crossing Lake Ontario... I think I've told you
the story already... I opened a 3/4" seacock when my buddy was taking his
turn pumping and secretly closed it when it was my turn... All night... When
I was found out he nearly threw me overboard, but while the gag lasted I
have to say I was quite moved at his diligence and positive response to my
encouragement when he was at the pump...

Gord #426 Surprise

On 2016-03-24, 8:28 AM, "Jonathan Bresler via Public-List"