[Public-List] Southbound ICW trip over

Mike Meinhold via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Nov 8 07:19:54 PST 2016

Kurt,
 Your almost certainly have at least a 2:1 reduction gear, so your
performance is reasonable.  If this is so, you are spinning your 13.5 x 11
prop at 1100 RPM and going 5 knots .
  You may have hull or prop fouling adding to your drag, or perhaps you
need more engine tuning  to get full torque performance out of the Volvo.

 One design point for the A30 is the original 2-blade 13" D x 7" P ,
matched to an Atomic 4 direct drive.
This combination generates 6.2 kt  at about 1800 RPM  (engine and prop) and
an estimated 16 HP

With my Beta 16 and 2:1 gear  and the same prop, I get 6.2 kt  at 3500
engine RPM (max rated and governed), 1750 prop RPM, 16 HP.
The results are very similar, but wIth the Atomic 4 I was hitting the
torque limit of the engine at wide-open throttle, while with the Beta 16 I
am hitting the RPM limit.

If I were to pitch this prop higher, and/or add a third blade, and/or make
the blades wider,  I could get hull-speed thrust at a lower RPM, and the
torque would be higher to deliver the same 16 HP
This could possibly be a better operating point (RPM and HP or RPM and
Torqe) for the engine in calm water.

If the drag went up due to wind and waves, towing or fouling, the higher
pitch  (or 3-blade ) prop might be a clearly better fit.

Mike
Rinn Duin #272

On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 6:14 PM, Kurt R via Public-List <