[Public-List] Masthead paraphernalia and Harken furler setup at same.

Bill McCoy via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Oct 14 12:12:58 PDT 2016

Alas, I am now engaged in setting up my mast to step in a week or so as I splash my Alberg.

Along with that process I have taken notice of an awful lot of historical appendages and curious buggers in and on my mast.  So, I am taking a beating, not knowing the setup of the Alberg, and I bring this to the consortium of pleasant minds which confer on this site.

In the Photobucket picture I include here, http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/Skeep575/media/1014161133_HDR_zpsg5gcdttx.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0 , my question is, should not the furler be engaged in the foremost eye of the masthead rather than as it appears here?

Plus, below, on the bow plate, I would naturally pin the furler to the foremost fitting there too, as it occurs to me that this would provide the better windward advantage putting the sail just that bit further to purchase the angle of wind.

A follow-on question for all of you, why are all these blocks nested underneath the crane?  Would not some cheek-blocks serve to hoist the same sails and yet be out-of-the-way at the same time?

Thank you in advance for your kind responses.  I assure you I will have more questions as you answer these.

Skeep

Bill