[Public-List] Electric Auxiliary

Mike Meinhold via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Oct 14 10:52:54 PDT 2016

It's not too complicated - how much energy do you need to move the boat,
how far or how long.

You will not have very signfiicant efficieny gains - if any - for electric
vs diesel, so the upshot is energy storage, and the availability of supply.
The system install costs are on par - a bit higher for electric.
The energy costs might be a little lower for electric - but they are very
small anyway for a sailboat.

I can store well over a hundred miles worth of diesel fuel in my 10 gallon
tank, and i can refill it in a short time at many locations.
An electric system has only a few hours of battery energy, and no way to
quickly replenish it.

I will say that on this past 9 day fall cruise there was only one day when
an electric would have failed me - motoring for 2 hours.

Otherwise my sailing to motoring ratio was 20 or more to 1.  This is not
typical though.

If you motor 20 minutes at each end of a sail, and always plug into power
overnight, electric might work. There will come a time when you have to
move the boat with no wind, and then you will be wishing you had internal
combustion!

mike
Rinn Duin #272

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Backfin via Public-List <