[Public-List] toe rail

via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Sep 2 12:28:08 PDT 2016

Hello Charles,

I did mine last year as follows:

West epoxy to bond large cracks and to dutchmen some teak on some deep gouges.  I also splined and chisel shaped teak to remake the bottom sides which are really thin 1/8 or so. tough toexplain but you will see what I mean when you remove the rails.

Sanded down with 80 to 150 grit.
three coats of cetol Marine light
three coats of Cetol Marine gloss

Installed and bedded with butyl tape very easy using the 3/4 inch stuff along the length of rails.

Made teak bungs and glued with carpenter's glue.

In hindsight I would have applied one heavy coat of cetol only before installation as when you sand down the bungs and finish coating with cetol, the colour is not even between sanded bung areas and the rest of the rail.  You probably would have a better result in applying finished coats of cetol and gloss only after bungs are sanded down.

Have fun removing those blasted flat headed screws... a royal pain!  But it looks very nice when finished and holding out quite well with only a few touch up in the spring where spring lines rubbed on the rail.

Cheers,

Maurice
Avoca 322