[Public-List] Leaks/Tracks/rivets/et. al.

Anders Bro via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Sep 6 09:34:10 PDT 2016

Bill,

I have just spent the summer ripping off the top fiberglass layer on my
deck and replacing the soaked/rotten core on a Pearson Ariel (a Alberg
liner boat that is sort of like the A30). (The problem of leaks is not
unique to A30s!) I started by taking off that top layer of glass around
places that I knew were wet, and then followed the wet/rotten core until
I found good dry balsa. It was incredible to see how far those
wet/rotten areas extended - sometimes as much as 3 feet or so from the
point of water ingress. Eventually I got a moisture meter and found even
more wet spots. The core did not sound to be wet (by tapping), but the
meter indicated that the core was wet... Sure enough when I exposed the
underlying core in these areas, the core really was wet. My guess is
that in all I have replaced about 1/2 of the deck core.

When rebuilding the deck, I made a point of replacing the balsa core
with numerous layers of fiberglass in the areas of the tracks, stanchion
plates, around the chain plates, etc, so that when I ultimately drill
the holes for the deck fittings, I will have a strong foundation that
won't rot. So far it has been quite a big job, but I am nearing the end
of the deck rebuild - now the fairing will be interesting as the extent
of the repairs do not allow many reference surfaces from which to gauge
the gradual smooth lines.

As mentioned by Don, as with the Whitby holes through the core, none of
the Pearson holes were sealed either. Every one of them (yes, every one)
had admitted some amount of water that resulted in balsa that was either
rotten (black and so rotten that it had also shrunk), or so wet that you
could squeeze water out of the excavated balsa core. If nothing else,
now I have a dry cabin! :-) I was really quite surprised to find how
extensive the damage was.

I hope this perspective helps.

Anders