[Public-List] Teak inlay in cockpit seats and hatch cover

Lawrence Morris via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed Feb 1 18:46:19 PST 2017

Do have done this.  It is simple and straight forward

Route the old plywood out of the cavities. Cut teak planks. I used 1.5" width with 1/8"-3/16" seams.  Thickness will be determined by the cavity depth.  I made mine 1/4" higher than the fiberglass.

Bed them in thickened epoxy with graphite to color it black.

I masked the cavity edge with duct tape.  Set the planks in with the epoxy positioned the planks and weighted down to keep them from moving.  Don't use so much weight that you squeeze all the epoxy from the bottom of the plank.  Let set overnight.

Remove the weights and finish the tops of the planks with a belt sander.  I would leave the planks at least 1/8" above the fiberglass to prevent water from pooling and allow for future refinishing.

Razor blade the excess around the cavity edges and remove the duct tape.

I left mine unfinished and I periodically clean and oil the gray wood.  Ten years and counting with virtually no maintenance.

Larry Solstice.

Sent from my iPad