[Public-List] Public-List Digest, Vol 3413, Issue 1

gordon white via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Feb 10 12:43:27 PST 2017

I just replaced my topping lift and all halyards. The lift broke at the
wire to rope splice. As we were out on the Bay I pressed into service
one of the unused spinnaker halyards, but replacing the wire was a
problem, requiring two trips up the mast, which my wife does not like me
to do. I heartily recommend replacing halyards and the topping lift
before they break, and my main halyard looked fine just before the outer
sheath broke away from the core and jammed in the sheave, which was a
problem. I put a fully-rope halyard in place of the wire. It was thin
enough to work in the wire's sheave.

  - Gordon White, Brigadoon II