[Public-List] Rudder Shape

Gordon Laco via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Feb 21 07:05:25 PST 2017

Another interesting thing…  in discussion with Steve Killing, the yacht designer who lives near us, and is the fellow who figured out how to make those huge America’s Cup catamarans fly by making their centre boards curved, I learned that the way to make certain a dinghy rudder or centerboard doesn’t vibrate is to make the trailing edge straight and squared with sharp corners.  We make the servo blades of Voyager self steering vanes that way.

Along the same lines…  I’ve got an original Hasler self steering vane in our workshop.  I bought it years ago for the Folkboat but never used it…  I keep it to show where Voyagers came from.  The Hasler is a fair bird cage of tubes, tiny blocks and lines, but it shows evidence of Hasler’s brilliant mind all over it.

Now here’s the point of all this…  Hasler’s servo blades, the part of the vane that’s in the water, is NOT foil shaped.  It’s wedge shaped with a small radius parabolic leading edge, then steadily widens to a squared trailing edge about 1” thick.  This is the same shape used by surface piercing hydrofoils of the 1960’s.    interesting, isn’t it?  At low speeds it likely makes more drag resistance than a pure foil… but at high speed much less, and especially at angles of incidence.  Whatever turbulence it ‘feels’ is swept off the wedge and tumbles in futile frustration aft of the squared edge where there’s no blade.

As a maker of vanes I was also interested to note that Hasler resolved the issue of making the vane fit various freeboard heights by simply making the blade way too long.  The spruce is cheap, and the owner can trim it to whatever is required.  Genius.

Gord #426 Surprise