[Public-List] Integral Water Tank in Pre-liner Alberg 30

George Dinwiddie via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Jul 11 11:40:24 PDT 2017

Jonathan,

I believe the pre-liner tanks are basically the same as the liner tanks.
They're formed with the hull and an aft fiberglass bulkhead. On the
liner boats, the aluminum top is pop-riveted in place and the rivets
eventually leak a little. Also, the aluminum is not coated, and oxidizes
into the tank.

The #1 upgrade is to replace the top, either with an epoxy or HDPE panel
or by epoxying the aluminum. While you're at it, I'd suggest coating the
inside with epoxy, too. (I've not done either of these things, because
it requires pulling out the forepeak furniture.) See
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/Plumbing/WatertankRepair/ for some pictures.

An access port on the top is an easy thing to add and allows for
cleaning the inside. (We do have that.) This also allows extending a
hose to the very bottom to suck out the last bit of water that the
pickup tube doesn't reach.

A charcoal filter (like
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/98/988dbac4-760f-40d1-b504-2dde37df4161_1000.jpg)
in the galley removes any aluminum oxide flakes and makes the water
taste fine.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org