[Public-List] Batteries -- 12v or 6v

Jonathan Bresler via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Jul 21 08:38:18 PDT 2017

Folks,

Coming back to the best source of Alberg 30 information and good source on
a number of other topics.

Today's questions are about batteries.

one 12v or two 6v ?

The background is that Constance came with two Diehard group 27 12v 665CCA
batteries configured in two banks.  One of the batteries no longer has the
umphf to start then Yanmar 2GM20F.  The other battery starts her just fine.
  Figuring that I need to replace the weak battery. Thinking that this
might be an opportunity to replace the weak battery with a pair of 6v
batteries. Seems that two golf cart batteries, GC2, will provide
significantly more capacity (205AH or 235AH) than a replacement group 27
(56AH).   Appears that its possible to fit three 6v GC2 batteries in the
forward battery compartment.  Unfortunately, does not appear that I can
squeeze a GC2 in with the group 27 in the aft compartment.   So maybe its
two 6v GC2's in place of four.   The GC2's can be placed athwarthships so
that the boat's heel is not along the length of the cell, but rather its
width, which should keep the plates better covered with water.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan M Bresler
S/V Constance Alberg 30 #262