[Public-List] Oily weeping at the keel just forward of the rudder shoe.

via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Jun 15 07:00:06 PDT 2017

Hello Jeff,

I will be watching this thread closely as I have issues with a cracked keel but at the forefoot as you mentionned.  From what I have read and observed there is not much of a buildup of fiberglass under the keel along the joint of the two halves of the hull.  This year I added a thick layer of epoxy and filler to seal this joint as it was pretty threadbare all along the keel bottom, I saw little paint or gelcoat in that area overall.  I suspect that, in my case anyways, the encapsulated keel is waterlogged so freeze thaw cycles likely open up the joint.  It seems the ballast and the area below the bilge floor and around the ballast plug are filled with some type of material and covered with a fiberglass cap.  I did repair the fiberglass cap for the bilge floor which was cracked but likely water is still sealed in there but I have no weeping.  This material seems to retain water, so I am really interested in opinions on how to best dry an encapsulated hull.

Do have a look at the bilge floor directly under the motor to see if it has hairline cracks.  My best access is from the battery compartment just ahead of the motor, I enlarged the little athwartship bulkhead leading to the bilge to install a  pump down there and I used a paintbrush screwed on a stick to slobber thickened epoxy in the area after a good cleaning and scrubbing and degreasing.  Looks like I achieved a good bond.  I also read in the list that someone actually broke through that fiberglass cap of a bilge floor and scraped up all the material and old wood and resealed the whole deal.  That would be best to really dry up things.

I recall seeing your cockpit floor repairs somewhere in the Internet that is a beautiful job!  We do love these old boats.

good luck and cheers,

Maurice
Avoca 322