[Public-List] Oily weeping at the keel just forward of the rudder shoe.

Michael Connolly via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Jun 15 07:57:05 PDT 2017

Jeffery,
Stands to reason that if the seepage is oily that this comes from a bilge area where engine drippings can also accumulate. Isolate this area of the bilge and clean thoroughly and then seal as best you absolutely can. Epoxy would be best.

Maurice. Water in the bilge surrounding the ballast is something to have major worries about. I have seen the ballast pig pop up out of its fiberglass shell, i.e., the lower keel section, after the water freezes in the winter. I have also observed fractures in the fiberglass shell surrounding the ballast pig where the pressure of freezing water bust through the hull. Very serious damage can result. This is particular serious in salt water as the pig is ferrous.

There would be no way to effectively dry out the water saturated area surrounding the ballast pig. I don't believe I would suggest drilling small holes in the very bottom of the keel and/or using excessive heat to dry out the water.

What I try to do is add enough RV anti freeze to -50 degrees F to mix with any water which might collect in the bilges over the winter to prevent freezing. I might advise that you attempt to introduce this RV antifreeze into your bilge in an effort to mix with the saturated area surrounding the ballast pig in effort to prevent that water from freezing. I would keep this up each and every year to assure that you have a mix that would not freeze.

To the poor owner of the Frisco Flyer with the popped ballast. It would be nearly impossible to push the pig back in place. I would believe that the keel would have to be cut apart and the pig reglassed in place. Unfortunately she has ruined her very nice boat by allowing the water to freeze.

Michael #133, Arcadia, Michigan the frozen north