[Public-List] Rudder stocks & rudder taper.

George Dinwiddie via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Mar 7 07:52:19 PST 2017

Greg,

On 3/7/17 6:30 AM, Greg Dawson via Public-List wrote:

> Dear all
>
> Greg... Our rudder tapers from approximately 2 inches to 1 inch.
>
> As for the rudder stock. I was digging around with my faithful old
> paint scraper yesterday as our rudder has to come off. Digging pits
> or lifting the boat are not an option right now. I hear what everyone
> is saying that the stock and rudder are held together with bronze
> machine screws but I don't see them. the rudder stock seems to be
> encased in what looks to be approximately 1/4 inch of glass. There is
> even what appears to be a join line in the glass / gel coat down the
> centre of where the rudder stock should be. Am I missing something.

It appears that Whitby used quite a number of different techniques on
the rudders over the years. Please take photos of what you find, and I
can add them to the collection on the website.

Whether machine screws or brass pins, I think they were supposed to be a
web to transfer turning forces to the to the rudder, not something
removable. (see
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/Steering/RudderPost/rudderstock.png) If
your rudder is anything like mine, I suspect you'll find that you've got
two fiberglass sides, one of which is glassed to the rods/bolts, and
foamed resin was poured in between. This foam was trimmed around the
edges and sealed with some resin putty. On Calypso, this joint was about
1/4" wide, as I recall.

> It looks as though work has been done on our boat as the bolt for the
> shoe is stainless and the bronze pintal has been replaced with a
> stainless strap. I need a new 2 piece bronze pintal and shoe. does
> anyone know where I could purchase these please.

As Mike says, beware of stainless fasteners below the waterline.

People have, from time to time, had new shoes and gudgeons cast.

> Your help would be appreciated.

Poke around on http://alberg30.org/maintenance/Steering/ and see if you
find anything that's helpful.

  - George