[Public-List] Battery and electrical system

Michael Grosh via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed Mar 15 18:13:03 PDT 2017

You have a few non related issues. Banging on the starter probably means
the delco gear is not sliding freely. A couple of bolts frees starter from
mount and some wd 40 and a scotchpad works wonders.
You sail regularly with autopilot? (I mean non motoring). That's a pretty
good electric drain, I much prefer to hand steer under sail, but I would
think with deep cycle batteries that would be manageable. GPS constantly on
probably adds up on battery draw also-it's on my list, but is it _really_
necessary for Chesapeake Bay? Anyway, changing to an electronic voltage
regulator would allow you to charge your batteries 10-15 minutes, even
after several days battery drain.
Alberg30 OE wiring is problematic. It's household lamp cord. The good news
is the wiring harness is primitive, so tracing out and replacing is  not
complicated.
Two deep cycle batteries really should keep you in electric for a few days,
especially with 30 watt solar input. Myself, I have tried every combination
of battery and now just go with cheap walmart jobs that I alternately
replace.every 2 years.

Michael Grosh

On Mar 15, 2017 6:04 PM, "tmthypk at gmail.com via Public-List" <

I have two questions about my battery and electrical systems. Last summer
as I spend most of it working out various problems when I went, the
electrical issued was a constant plague of problems and really just hope.
Prior to one substantial fix, at one point I was banging on the start with
a hammer to get the engine to start. Had to quickly drop my anchor in the
channel entering the Magothy River! that was exciting.

The first is my need to buy a battery or batteries for my house bank. I
have two batteries right now which a marina had put in for me when I was
fixing up Nevermore. They are Interstate, dual purpose marine/RV batteries
that have just simply gotten me by. I would like to keep the one as my
starting battery, but I need more capacity for a house bank. My goal is to
have the capability to be able to go cruising for up to a week or so. I
would like to not have to run the engine every day, or limit that. Right
now I have a 30watt solar panel and my electric load isn't all that high as
I have all LED lights. I think the most consuming is the GPS/depth sounder
and the Tiller Pilot. What are people's experience or recommendations? I do
not want to modify anything and plan to keep the batteries banks where they
are above the keel.

The other question I have, is I believe I really should re-wire everything
that is in there now. I don't think what I have going on right now is
efficient or even safe. I have very basic functional knowledge/skill level
with this. For me to to start over and do it correctly is a little over my
head even after all the reading I have done on it. My boat is on the
Magothy (across from PSA) and I am hoping I could borrow someone's
afternoon or evening for some real advice and perspective; compensatory
beers or dinner would be assumed.

Thank you all!

Timothy Peek
Nevermore #219