[Public-List] Sealing/Bedding Chainplates

Mike Lehman via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Mar 31 12:09:17 PDT 2017

I have several years experience with 4000UV, it will last several years,
but I replace it every year because it is an easy job compared to replacing
a rotten bulkhead. I have found it to be better that previous products,
which includes just about anything you can name.

On Mar 31, 2017 2:31 PM, "Hernán Scarnichia via Public-List" <

I used liquid lifecalk. Stuff some fabric to plug from the inside and pour
it to fill the gap. Doesn't last more than a year. Sticks to the fiberglass
but separates from the metal due to movement I guess.
It's easy to reapply though. Just cut some of the old material out and pour
more in to fill the gap.

Does 4000uv last longer?

Hernan.

On Mar 31, 2017 09:19, "Mike Lehman via Public-List" <

On the deck where the Chainplates exit, I use 3M 4000UV. To install the
Chainplates below deck I would use 5200. The 4000UV holds up better in
sinlight, stay flexible and doesn't discolor.

On Mar 31, 2017 1:14 PM, "Jonathan Bresler via Public-List" <

Dear Albergers,

What are the recommendations for sealing/bedding the chainplates as they
pass through the deck?

The existing material appears to be something like 4200 at deck surface
level with some fibrous material between the metal and the deck.  Not glass
fiber, but rather some natural light to medium brown fibrous
material....packing of some sort?

This winter, the chainplates have been removed from Constance. Stainless
steel backing plates cut from 1-1/14" x 3/16" 316L bar stock drilled to
match the hole pattern of the chainplates.  The bulkhead and knees have
been painted, still need to add the third and last coat to the aft knees,
Thursday's coolness stopped me from painting yesterday.  Next step after
painting next week, when it should warm up a bit, is to install the
chainplates and their backing plates, the seal the openings.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan M Bresler
S/V Constance Alberg 30 #262