[Public-List] Anchor light, and the difference between "masthead light" and "anchor light"

Randy Katz randy.katz50 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 15:52:48 PST 2017

We had the mast down for new rigging a couple of summers ago. I put in a
new LED substitute anchor light (fit the same socket), and I've stopped
worrying about it. I get the convenience of a low down, easy to reach
light, but I'm happy having it at the top of the mast.

We got ours from Dr. LED. Be sure to get an LED intended for navigational
purposes--they're not the same as plain old LEDs that look the same.
http://www.doctorled.com/p2.htm

I'm not sure our original side lights (red & green) meet today's USCG
standards. I disconnected those and installed a R/G bowlight which is
always visible. Plus, it has one bulb to change instead of 2.

See this link for an explanation of the difference between a "masthead
light" and "anchor light."  (I'm sure this distinction is arguable, perhaps
by some in our own group.)
http://schoolofsailing.net/blog/navigation-lights/anchor-light-vs-masthead-light/
It clarified things for me since #249 came with a combo deck light/masthead
light that was installed half or two-thirds of the way up the front of the
mast. Now I understand that the other half of the deck light is the
masthead/steaming light.

Ciao,

Randy
#249 Simple Gifts