[Public-List] Roller Reefing

charles pleisse velocharles1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 13:49:00 PDT 2017

My furler is one of the early examples from Harkin.  If I recall correctly
the reciept for it is dated 1983 or 84.  The literature does talk about
reefing.  I don't use it in that way.  Way too much stress on the sail if
reefed enough to make a difference and the sail becomes far less
efficient.  I just go forward and change the sail.  I believe even that
process is made simpler with the furler as you don't have to fiddle with
the hanks.
All of our boats are/have been equipped with a boom that does the same
thing.  I've been around Albergs for the better part of a decade now and
have yet to see on reefing the main on the boom.  Roller reefing just
doesn't work.  Too many compromises.
As a person who singlhands 90% of the time, the convenience still cant be
beat. I can go to the boat and sail off the hook under headsail without
leaving the cockpit, save for letting go of the mooring.

Charles Pleisse
College Park Bicycles
( <http://www.bike123.com>301)864-2211

Virus-free.