[Public-List] #56 Topping Lift Question

via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon Sep 25 07:00:35 PDT 2017

Quest (433) has an Offshore rigid (spring) vang that was installed by Annapolis Rigging about 20 years ago.  It is attached to the bottom of the mast with a strong stainless collar and on the bottom of the boom by a bracket that has a contour that matches the shape of the bottom 1/4 of the boom.  The vang is a four to one purchase and is led by turning blocks at the base of the mast through deck organizers to the cabin top clutches.  It has enough purchase to allow full adjustment without the need for the winch.

The vang allowed me to eliminate the toping lift.  When not sailing the mainsheet and mainsheet blocks are removed with snapshackles and stowed out of the weather in the cockpit locker.  The boom end is then clipped to a 6" pigtail swaged to the aft stay and the vang tightened.  This arrangement is quite secure and works well.

The vang provides full adjustment on all points and I have not had any issues at the gooseneck.  I believe the riggers replaced the fasteners at the mast track.  As Don mentioned the geometry of a rigid vang essentially fixes the boom at a set point on the mast.  Mine still uses the boom car but there is a drilled hole in the track for the pin that is set to the proper height relative to the hoist and the proper range and horizontal boom position. It's possible to (semi) permanently raise or lower the gooseneck by moving the vang's clevis pin forward or aft on the boom bracket which lets you raise or lower the gooseneck to a new (semi) permanent position while maintaining the boom in a horizontal position.

I have been very pleased with this arrangement and it has been trouble free.  I think that has a lot to do with it being well made product that was installed by riggers who understood the loads involved and knew what they were doing.

Richard Hazlegrove
Quest 433
Mobjack Bay, VA.