[Public-List] Roller furling................ Jib Downhaul

Michael Connolly via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Sep 28 08:29:04 PDT 2017

Hello,
I rigged a down haul on my Typhoon, yes a smaller boat, but...... I always sailed into the dock on the jib only and when I wanted it down I wanted it down and.......to stay down! This was threaded through each piston hank, attached at the head with a bowline through the shackle, run through a small turning block at the stem, also attached via the tack shackle, then back to a block halfway to the cockpit to a horn cleat inside the combing. The process which worked well for me was to lower the jib with the downhaul (while) maintaining some drag on the halyard. This kept the sail from bunching up ahead of time. Never any real problem once I got the method down.

When the sail was hoisted the downhaul was cleated = no slapping of the line. I usually recleated the downhaul once the sail was doused = a nasty puff would not redeploy the jib.

Nice thing about tiller steering is that you can drive while doing all of this with the tiller between your legs.

Skippers have trouble with bunching of the jib or Genoa if they just release the halyard and then try to beat it down by taking up the downhaul. The sail, especially a larger sail, in the right conditions will fall faster than one can take up the downhaul. Keeping tension on the released halyard eliminates this issue.

Michael #133, oh the Typhoon was #161. She was sold recently..............:-(