[Public-List] Roller Furling

Michael Connolly crufone at comcast.net
Fri Sep 29 06:11:13 PDT 2017

Gord,
Thanks for the vivid explanation. I thought that most folks knew what happens when a skipper uses roller furling as roller reefing. For every convenience there is always some compromise. I still maintain that for best performance a hanked-on Jib or Genoa provides a better leading edge luff shape to the sail than any fully deployed roller furled sail.

I crew for a skipper in Florida who has had the foam pieces installed in her Genoa. It is not pretty but she feels it gives her more options when using her pick-up crew for racing. A green crew is not going to be able to do a head sail switch very effectively between races.
Michael #133