[Public-List] Roller Furling

Don Campbell dk.campbell at xplornet.ca
Fri Sep 29 07:25:27 PDT 2017

Michael:
    I am sure you have compared the leading edge airflow in a wind tunnel
with some smoke to show you the entry profile to maintain your idea on
performance. My opinion is that one should minimize the foil profile and
maximize the sail profile to get a compromise best flow. To that end, I
would not choose a circular foil because the drag on that is too great for
my liking. Optimizing performance may also  mean replacing the Dacron more
than you would like (after every 50 races or so depending upon the Dacron
manufacturer) and using wire halyards to minimize sag on the hank on sail
luff as well.  A 3% stretch on a halyard on our mast is 12.6" (35 x 12 x 3
/100) and if every part of the luff between hanks is bowed, the entry is not
great. Performance is not just one factor,  but the best aggregate of many.
Don