[Public-List] Batteries, solar panel.

Martin Privette prmartin85 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 22:21:54 PDT 2018

Hey Marcelo,

I have 2 aux batteries and 1 starter batter in the base compartment, you
can put another one there for sure( overlooking the plastic battery box ).

 A 100w solar panel might be better if you haven't gotten one yet, with at
least a 40w MTTP charger/controller.
You can clamp the line to either bank and let it go( I let it charge all
3...Battery selector in " all " position )... The charger will regulate the
output to about 13.7volts or so...no overcharge.

The trick is setting the panel angle for optimum solar absorption.

I saw a little rig that used the stern rails as a hinge for the solar panel
.. plastic tie wraps., rubber bushings...a small block attacked to the
backstay a couple of feet above the sailors head. The panel was reinforced
at the top with 2" right angle aluminum.

The angle is easily adjusted... under way, or stationary. This rig also
incorporated a small clete below the block on the backstay as well, to tie
off the bitter end.
The solar panel is always off the stern... out of the way of navigation.

I'd like to hear some input on this subject myself...

Marty

Reverie 21

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 11:53 PM, Marcelo D. Gentinetta via Public-List <