[Public-List] Paralleling lead-acid batteries is not a good idea

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Sat Aug 4 15:16:35 PDT 2018

Hello A-30 people,

I have not been following the discussion of paralleled lead-acid
batteries BUT... paralleling batteries is held to be a very bad idea, as
they all will have different peak charging voltages due to their ages
and the types of loads they have supported. When you parallel large
batteries you get large currents until the voltages are equalized. That
is why power controllers control all the batteries separately. I believe
that is shortens batter live significantly.

Practical sailor ran many articles on charging controllers, you can look
them up. I have two batteries, and I charge one at a time from a
variable rate charger, but my application is mostly day-sailing.

FWIW,

--Dan Sternglass
Watcher of the Skies #201, Ithaca, NY, Cayuga Lake

dans at stmktg.com
office: +1607-257-3431
mobile: +1607-592-8012

Strategic Marketing Associates