[Public-List] Batteries, solar panel

Stephen Gwyn stephen.gwyn at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 20:48:05 PDT 2018

I have virtually the same set up as you. The main difference is I have deep
cycle not dual purpose batteries. Atomic 4s don't take much juice to start
compared to diesels. West Marine batteries are adequate. I never had any
problems cruising and never used shore power. I did just change alternators
and the new one has a pulley that is slightly too large. I could get more
power from the low rev A4 with a smaller pulley. Which would matter if
there was more wind or if the nights were longer.

I did have a small solar panel that kept things topped up in winter instead
of using shore power. It was just over 1 foot square. It was propped up on
the south side of the boat. I would stow it below when sailong. It worked
OK, but I broke 2 or 3 when they came unstowed while heeled. So currently,
in winters when I don't go sailing for two months, I have book up to the
dock. I am probably shortening the life of the batteries but it beats
buying new solar panels on a regular basis, and fiddling with them each
time I go sailing.

SG