[Public-List] Boarding Ladders

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sat Aug 11 10:26:07 PDT 2018

Hello Daniel -

Drilling through your deck is actually a good thing, so long as you follow the prescription for protecting the surrounding balsa core with an internal doughnut of epoxy.  You’ll end up with a solid laminate to tighten your bolts against with no possibility of water intrusion.  Your deck with be stronger in the area of the ladder fastening than it is now.

So all that said, I have to ask… why would you want a side ladder?  A ladder mounted at the stern is much more useful if you ever have to recover a person from the water, and for recreational use, is much easier to use due to the backstay being there as a handy hand hold when you’re climbing in or out.  (I recall your boat doesn’t have pulpits…)

Cheers -

Gordon Laco
#426 Surprise

PS - and if that monstrous alligator you so nonchalantly pointed out to me happens by while you’re swimming, a stern ladder would be equally handy regardless which side of the boat you happened to be on…  ;)