[Public-List] Refridgeration

Michael Grosh dickdurk at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 16:37:05 PDT 2018

2 days seems like a short amount of time. I would suspect a shortcoming in
insulation on your factory issue chest type cooler liner boat. I retro
fitted a chest type (using all.available space) with layers of aluminum
foil (stops infra red, so they say, especially between engine compartment).
It made for a large space to work with, so I have at least 4" foam all
around. I get 6 days of ice easily Ches. Bay summers, but I also use deep
freeze ice that's really cold to start with.
I would do the easy first, probe for insulation, cans of spray foam in any
found voids. Careful, though, the foam expands with a lot of force. It's a
small diameter tube on the cans that can be inserted in inspection holes.
Longer hose can be had from the hardware store-it'll press fit on the can
which gives flexibility jiggling around any voids. Glue foil outside the
chest in engine compartment for good measure.
I've liked the idea of belt driven refrigeration. Systems are pricey
though, and probably not justifiable for how I use the Alberg. I have a
home made design floating around someplace, the refrigeration cycle is
pretty basic really. Thedevil is in the details.
Michael Grosh
The insulation i found on my preliner boat was just plain awful. A few
pieces of fiberglass home insulation, which had become water saturated. MG

On Aug 11, 2018 5:30 PM, "Gordon Laco via Public-List" <

Hello gang -

So we’re back at home after provisioning the boat for tomorrow’s departure…
and as I do every year, I’m wondering if I should install refrigeration
some day.

It would be nice to carry fresh meats longer than four days without having
to plan to ice up again… on the other hand it’s nice not to have to worry
about battery capacity…. on the other hand the reality of cruising on our
coast is that it’s really nice to stooge up the inside channels on our
Georgian Bay coast, and that usually entails at least a couple of hours of
motoring every day, often more.

If I put refrigeration in, and only used it when the engine was running,
and still put say two blocks of ice in the box, surely the refrigeration
would make the blocks last forever, effectively refreezing them each day
when motoring.  If we didn’t motor, two blocks would last two days…

Anyone else grappled with this?  Before the suggestions come in: sorry, I
would never put an array of solar panels on SURPRISE.

Gord Laco
#426 Surprise