[Public-List] Re anchors and racing

Jonathan Bresler 262alberg30 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 10:16:55 PDT 2018

The anchor may be a 7.5kg claw, such as the one on Surprise.  Constance has
one as well. ;)

The weight of the rode may be equal to or many times the weight of the
anchor.  150’ of 5/8” three strand nylon weighs about 15lbs.  150’ of 5/16”
BBB chain weighs about 165lbs.

Thinking that when the time comes that I remove and redo? the v-berth water
tank in Constance, I may build in a channel to allow the rode to be drawn
aft to the area below the cabin sole just forward of the batteries.   May
end up being a bum idea, it being to hard/bothersome to draw the rode aft
or that the rode won’t feed forward again smoothly when anchoring.  That
would be very disappointing.

For safety during racing, all nylon rode might answer and provide an
immediate anchor, allowing one to roust out the heavier anchor and chain
rode, if needed.

Thoughts?  Has this been tried by someone in the Association?

Jonathan

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 12:49 PM Mike Meinhold via Public-List <

> This is not part of the Chesapeake Bay Alberg Racing  rules. However no one
> here would leave a heavy weight on the bow for racing. You must carry an
> anchor but most would put it on the cabin sole near the center of the boat.
>
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 12:33 Gordon Laco via Public-List <
>
> > I reckon the rule is intended to limit damage in case of collisions… but
> > it is not a wise one.
> >
> > My experience has been that those who race to the exclusion of other ways
> > of using their boats often lack what should be common sense with regard
> > seamanship.
> >
> > Gordon Laco
> > www.gordonlaco.com
> >

> > > On Aug 27, 2018, at 12:13 PM, Mike Lehman via Public-List <
> > public-list at lists.alberg30.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > We have  actually won a race because we were able to anchor quickly on
> > > foul current in a dying wind. The anchor is a as piece of safety
> > equipment
> > > and can be used strategically in a race. It should b ed on deck at all
> > > times ready for deployment.

> club.
> > like
> > safety