[Public-List] Butter end

R Kirk isobar at verizon.net
Thu Aug 30 04:46:41 PDT 2018

Clay... Actually, it's not really necessary to secure the bitter end of the anchor rode itself. Secure it - lightly - if you'd like to keep it from flailing out of he boat accidentally. But you don't want to have it so tight that a runaway anchor will pull a hole in the bottom of the boat. Better lose the anchor than hole the boat. Navy ships used to (maybe still do) have a weak link in the chain near where it attached to the hull, designed to break in a severe pull. Thus the origin of the term 'weak link' I think. bob